Friday, August 3, 2012

Who Knew?

I've tried nearly every form of exercise there is (except for major sports. Not really great at hand/eye coordination or any other kind of coordination--too much of a risk for injury, especially when you're the kind of person who trips on nothing). 

I've tried everything from aerobics in the late 80's to joining a gym in the 200o's (the elliptical machine was difficult to master for my off-balance and klutzy ways, but I did it!). 

So, on their last visit here, my parents brought me dad's old bike. I seriously hadn't set my bum on a bike for over 20 years. Yes, I just admitted it: 20 years! 

I tried it out. I was a little wobbly at first, but, as they say, it's like riding a bike! I decided that during my sabbatical, or mini-retirement, or whatever you want to call this month+ I have off of work, (It was a temp job; waiting for it to become permanent. Lots of hoops to jump through for me and my bosses) that I would try bike riding, just to see if I would feel any better (less tired from the Hashimoto's, just feel better in general...).



Turns out I *LOVE* cycling. Who knew? My first ride, I tried to ride all the way to Windsor Road. Couldn't do it. I only made it a little over a mile and had to take several minutes to catch my breath and head the mile or so back home. It was SO hard!! Now, about a month later, I can bike 5 miles and not feel like I'm going to die from exhaustion. People talk about a runners high (and I would think to myself: if they say so...), but now I kind of get it. I'm not exactly an athlete in top condition, but there have been times I've just been in the zone, going on my 5 mile ride and it honestly has been pure bliss. Can't wait to go again!!  Hope I still feel this way in 6 months. :) 

Here's the bike helmet I got (thanks mom and dad! I spent my birthday cash early). Eric says I look like a Japanese cartoon character when I wear it. I love the Bern Co.'s tagline though: "We have helmets that don't make it look like a spaceship landed on your head."

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome!! I love the helmet-- and its tagline, too. SO TRUE. Most helmets totally look like spaceships. Anyway, that's so exciting you found something you like. That's not easy to do! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you found something you like. I'm just like you exercise-wise. I used to bike to Utah Lake every day before work in the good ol' days (and sometimes up to Bridal Veil Falls). I miss those days. I should start up again.

    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute helmet! I agree, I love cycling too. When the weather is a bit cooler I even have 80 lbs of extra weight I can drag around (twins in trailer). I just got a new bike and now Jeff's been riding it to work, I may need to steal it back.

    ReplyDelete